China Institute is the oldest bicultural organization in America devoted exclusively to China. The Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, business and art in the belief that cross-cultural understanding strengthens our global community. China Institute offers high school study abroad opportunities in China.
Looks like there are no Admins yet in this group!
Interested in becoming an admin?
Group Admin Application
Please fill out our short questionnaire to apply for admin privileges
As an Admin, you will be this group’s community builder! You will have the following privileges and responsibilities:
1. Appoint members who will post announcements/documents to the pinboard.
2. Edit information about the group.
3. Post/delegate members to post group updates/events, job opportunities, etc.
4. Keep the group engaged by posting fun and resourceful content!
5. View Group statistics to understand your group’s demographic makeup.
Thanks for filling out this short form! We’ll review it shortly and let you know if you’ve been selected.
- Headquartered in
- New York
- Miaomiao Wang, Resident Director, Summer Study in China
- Telephone: 212.744.8181
- Address: 125 East 65th Street, New York, NY 10065
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
China Institute was founded in 1926 by a group of distinguished American and Chinese educators including John Dewey, Hu Shih, Paul Monroe and Dr. Kuo Ping-wen. It is the oldest bicultural organization in America devoted exclusively to China. Chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York in 1944 as a school of continuing education, our school of Chinese studies is the oldest educational center of its kind in the United States. China Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, business and art in the belief that cross-cultural understanding strengthens our global community.
From its inception in 2005, China Institute’s Summer Study in China program has maintained a reputation as one of the nation’s foremost study abroad programs for high school students learning Mandarin Chinese. During its inaugural year, the program drew international support from a variety of educational bodies, including: the New York City Board of Education, China’s National Office for the Teaching of Chinese as a Foreign Language and the Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China in New York.
Lead teachers sourced from top U.S. colleges and universities – including Harvard and Stanford – are responsible for maintaining the Institute’s language learning standards abroad, developing course curricula, recruiting teachers and administering professional development training for our Chinese staff members.
Chinese language teachers are recruited from some of China’s top universities, including: Beijing Normal University, Beijing Language University and East China Normal University. Teachers are usually ABD doctoral candidates specializing in the teaching of Chinese as a foreign language. All teachers undergo a series of professional development workshops prior to working with students to ensure that they are fully versed in American educational methodologies.
- SSC-Beijing offers high school students the opportunity to receive intensive language training within an immersed cultural environment. Living for four weeks in the vibrant metropolis of Beijing, students will use their Chinese to communicate in daily life activities, improving both their fluency and pronunciation. Through rigorous small group daily language lessons, it is expected that they will acquire the equivalent of a full academic year of Chinese.
- SSC-East China offers highschool students the opportunity to explore the country from every aspect, from the North to the South (Beijing, Nanjing, Suzhou and Shanghai), from the urban areas to the scenic rural destinations, from the past to the present. Through this program students will understand the country’s people, culture and history more deeply than ever possible from a classroom.
- 1 month, 4 weeks ago
- 1 year, 4 months ago
- 1 year, 7 months ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years, 1 month ago
Job postings from Project Pengyou’s jobs
Posted by Cathrine Hansen
Posted by Sarah Lau
Posted by Samantha Kwok
Upcoming China-related events.
Sunday, Aug 27
Market Square, Knoxville, TN 37902 - Knoxville, Market Square
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
posted by Karisma Wilson
Thursday, May 18
NY 100 Washington Street - New York, China Institute
posted by Guantao Xu