Pay it Forward in the Year of the Monkey!
From February 8-14, Pengyous will visit local schools that have limited access to Chinese language and culture and share their knowledge with them.
Paying it Forward:
Pay it Forward on Chinese New Year (PIFOCNY for short) will be a celebration of the Lunar New Year dedicated to service! Project Pengyou Chapters will “adopt a school” in their community and inspire younger kids to learn about China and become global citizens. From February 8-14, Pengyous will visit local schools that have limited access to Chinese language and culture and share their knowledge with them. We hope that through teaching kids to discover and appreciate other cultures from a young age, it will build the foundation for them to approach not just US-China relations, but anyone who is different from them, with empathy and respect.
Want to teach kids about Chinese New Year and share your China stories? Read below to see how you can get involved:
How to Get Involved:
- Send a message to email@example.com to see if your community has a Project Pengyou Chapter.
- If there’s no Chapter in your area, identify a local school through cold calls/emails or by reaching out to your own teachers.
- Pitch your ideas to the school.
- Prepare an activity or presentation (If you need ideas, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or Ask a Pengyou in our forum!)
- Share your photos with the Xiao Pengyous online, and don’t forget to #projectpengyou #payitforward #PIFOCNY (print out the Project Pengyou special edition Monkey sticker to use)!
Teaching children about other cultures constructively is one of the best ways to start building a more peaceful and inclusive world. Click here to see fun photos from last year’s PIFOCNY!