Graduate Internship – Defence and Military Analysis Programme
IISS–Americas is seeking a part-time volunteer graduate intern to support the activities of its office in Washington DC, for three months beginning immediately in autumn 2019.
- Location: Washington, DC
- Industry: Government and Military
- Employer: The International Institute for Strategic Studies-Americas
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Be currently enrolled in a graduate programme studying security studies, international relations, economics or a related field. Only currently enrolled students will be considered.
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) or the equivalent.
- Be proactive and a self-starter able to work in a small-team environment.
- Be able to research independently.
- Be eligible to reside in the US. IISS–Americas regrets that it cannot assist with procuring visas or entry permits.
- Must have professional-level proficiency in Mandarin Chinese and be able to read and analyse Chinese-language documents from primary and secondary sources.
- Must be experienced in open-source research and Microsoft Excel.
- Must demonstrate understanding of China’s technology ecosystem (particularly ICT), the Digital Silk Road and China’s foreign and security policy.
Successful candidates can expect to gain direct exposure to the work and management of a leading international think tank. The intern will provide remote research support for the Research Fellow for Chinese Defence Policy and Military Modernisation, who works in the Defence and Military Analysis Programme (DMAP) based in London.
The preferred candidate will have an interest in and familiarity with Chinese ICT investments abroad and the Digital Silk Road at large, including the security and foreign policy implications of both. As an integral part of the Washington DC office team, the intern may also provide research and administrative support for other activities, as needed, but with priority on support to DMAP research projects.
- Cover letter (please specify available start dates, end dates and hours per week available)
The resume and cover letter should be sent as two separate PDF files via email to email@example.com, with the subject line: ‘[Your Name] – Fall 2019 DMAP Graduate Internship Application.’ Please include your full name in the title for each separate document like so: ‘[Last Name, First Name] Resume.’
This internship is unpaid. Applications will not be considered complete until all materials are received. The deadline for submission is 30 September 2019. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are not able to provide status updates on the application process. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly.