START YOUR OWN PROJECT PENGYOU CHAPTER:
Project Pengyou Chapters are comprised of a national network of student-driven organizations all striving to improve U.S.-China relations from the ground up. Over 80 Project Pengyou Chapters have been initiated in over 35 states across the U.S. addressing a variety of cross cultural issues and serving their communities.
LEAD, LEARN AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE
By building a Project Pengyou Chapter in your community you can:
- Join the Project Pengyou Leadership Network and connect with other talented and like-minded American and Chinese students, faculty and professionals from all across the country
- Be a pioneer of U.S.-China exchange, knowledge and action in your community and serve as a leader of the first Project Pengyou Chapter at your university or institution
- Develop empathetic leadership skills and drive national campaigns that promote cross-cultural dialogue and strengthen friendships between American and Chinese.
WHO CAN START A CHAPTER?
Anyone who has an interest in improving U.S.-China relations is eligible to apply to start a Chapter. Project Pengyou seeks to organize individuals who have lived in both the U.S. and China to serve as effective advocates and a hopeful voice for constructive US-China relations. Current students, educators, and young professionals are all encourage to get involved.
THOUGHTS FROM CURRENT AND FORMER CHAPTER LEADERS:
“After studying abroad as a high school student in Beijing, China, I wanted my high school peers to learn more about Chinese culture and connect with other people who studied abroad in China. Initially, I was unsure of how I could do so until I connected with Project 朋友. Through it, I was able to educate my peers, interact and connect with other Project 朋友 chapter leaders. Overall, I've learned more about US-China relations, developed my leadership skills, and enjoyed my time as a Project 朋友 Chapter leader. I hope to always be a 朋友.”
-- Demola Ogunnaike - Medgar Evers College Preparatory School
“Being the president of the Middlebury chapter of Project Pengyou has enabled me to explore my passion for U.S.-China relations and share it with my classmates and other members of the Middlebury community. It has been amazing to engage in rich conversations about the two cultures and show films, bring in speakers, and hold events to shed light on various U.S.-China related topics. Connecting with a global community of Pengyous and sharing our experiences has been one of my favorite aspects of this organization.”
--Benjamin Renton, Middlebury College Chapter
“Project Pengyou is so much more than an organization - it is a family. Each Pengyou brings their own unique personality and ideas and we empower one another through our shared desire for unity and positive change. No matter who you are, Project Pengyou makes you feel welcome and gives you the opportunity to educate others on why we should embrace different cultures and become U.S.-China bridge-builders.”
--Soledad Olmeda - Texas A&M International University Chapter
HOW TO START A PROJECT PENGYOU CHAPTER
- Recruit a pengyou to start your Chapter with (preferably one American, one international student).
- Apply online with Project Pengyou to get approval to set up your chapter.
- Build a leadership team and advisory council with students and faculty who share your values towards U.S,-China bridge-building.
- Make it official as an registered student organization with your home university. This process will vary depending on your institution.
- Register your chapter by filling out the Chapter License Agreement Form.
*Not a student? Fill out this short interest form to apply to bring a Chapter your community.