Program Leader | Chinese Language Institute
CLI’s Global Seminars are designed to build bridges between diverse cultures by introducing students to local sites and immersing our student groups into the day‐to‐day rhythm of local communities. The Program Leader (PL) plays a central role in the success of a Global Seminar. Program Leaders not only lead and guide the group through the seminar, but also oversee the itinerary’s logistical implementation.
At the core of our success is our valued team of educators and leaders who strive to share cultural experiences with students from around the world. We are dedicated to ensuring the best possible learning experience for every student who studies with us.
Program Leader Role
The Program Leader (PL) plays a central role in the success of a Global Seminar. Program Leaders not only lead and guide the group through the seminar, but also oversee the itinerary’s logistical implementation.
While reservations for hotels, transportation, activities, and company visits will be in place ahead of the trip, PLs are asked to be willing to provide further assistance as needed. From the moment the group is picked up from the airport until they board their return flight, Program Leaders have primary responsibility for the safe, positive, and meaningful experience of the group. Due to the PL’s central role, it is important to keep the mission of CLI in mind and practice positive interactions with participants throughout the program.
Responsibilities and Expectations
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the group to each destination on the itinerary
- Oversee group travel (via bus, train, metro, airplane, etc.)
- Manage hotel check‐in and check‐out
- Assist with minor itinerary plans as needed (reserving restaurants, booking coach buses, etc.)
- Provide background knowledge and history during site visits whenever possible
- Manage local guides that are hired for specific site visits
- Ensure overall group safety at all times
- Keep count of all group members at all times
- Remain the main point of contact for all inquiries and emergencies
- Enforce CLI program and personal conduct policies
- Maintain frequent communication with CLI’s full‐time team
CLI’s busy season for Global Seminars is from March to July, but we are hiring part‐time Program Leaders for Seminars taking place year round. CLI’s Global Seminars typically last for two to four weeks.
From the moment the group is picked up from the airport until they board their return flight, we ask Program Leaders to be available 24/7. While the PL may not be engaged at all times of the trip, they must be fully accessible and able to respond to inquiries from the group, possible emergency situations, and general group needs at any time from airport pick up to airport drop off.
Please see the detailed program itinerary attached as a separate document.
Applying to CLI
Who We Aim to Welcome to the Team
In general, successful Program Leaders are outgoing, affable, flexible, not easily flustered, calm even in tense situations, strong communicators, understanding, and service‐oriented. We would love for you to apply to be a CLI Program Leader! Please consider the following requirements and preferences:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Fluency in English
- Advanced proficiency in destination country’s (or countries’) language(s)
Not Required, but preferred
- Master’s degree
- Based full‐time in destination country(ies)
- Well traveled in destination country(ies)
- Well versed in history and culture of destination country(ies)
- Experienced with group leadership
- Adaptable, flexible and resourceful
- Well organized and consistently punctual
After reviewing the above information and specific program itinerary, please take time to consider the position, share questions, concerns and suggestions, and then communicate your requested compensation to your CLI point of contact by phone or email (see How to Apply section below). Please note that the proposed rate should cover the entirety of the trip, rather than an individual day rate.
Compensation is calculated on a per‐trip, per‐destination basis. Professional and educational experience are also taken into consideration. All meals, hotels, and travel listed on the itinerary are covered by CLI.